This week was the decrease in mileage week on the training schedule, therefore, the long run was back down to 13 miles. I was actually really nervous about this run because, the 13 miles was supposed to be at a faster pace.
On the Schedule:
13 miles @ 8:15
I was at the shore for the weekend and decided to run on the boardwalk. Sometimes it can be a bit boring to complete a long run without any turns but the scenery is unbeatable and hello, its super flat. I stayed up a little later than I usually do the night before because we were at an engagement party on Friday night, so I allowed myself to sleep in a bit. I woke up at 8:30, had some coffee and breakfast and headed to the beach. Since I chose to sleep in, it was pretty warm at the start of the run (about 79 degrees) but there was a beautiful breeze coming off the beach. I got going and actually felt pretty good. I wanted to keep my splits below an 8:15 pace because I have been taking a lot of liberties when it came to the training schedule and I wanted to do this one right. The first few miles ticked by no problem and I found myself having to consciously slow down. Sometime after mile 3 I got lost in the scenery and my thoughts and my body just took off. Miles 4-5 were just about marathon pace (MP) and even better than that, the pace felt comfortable! I remembered a future workout I saw on the schedule that had intimidated me from the start of training. It is probably the scariest workout on the plan (for me, anyway). It is scheduled for week 10 and it is a tempo run. 10 miles @ 8:00 pace (MP). The workout is repeated again in week 12. I toyed with the idea of attempting to make the whole 13 miles a MP run, just so I knew I could do it. Miles 6-10 were below 8 minute miles. Don't ask me how this happened. I knew I was going too fast and I told myself I would keep up the pace until mile 10 and then do 3 cool down miles. Of course by the time I reached mile 10, there was no stopping. I just had to keep going. The out and back part of the run landed me back at my car by mile 12. I quickly stopped to grab some cash and a new water bottle and headed out to finish the last mile...
Stats
13.1 miles
1:44:11 minutes
7:57 average pace
5:47 best pace
Splits
Mile 1~8:06
Mile 2~8:11
Mile 3~8:09
Mile 4~8:01
Mile 5~8:03
Mile 6~7:51
Mile 7~7:55
Mile 8~7:59
Mile 9~7:55
Mile 10~7:40
Mile 11~8:05
Mile 12~7:38
Mile 13~7:48
13.1~7:11 (pace)
I was on such an endorphin high after completing this run. I took my cash and stopped at the beach cafe snack bar. I ordered a red gatorade and a soft pretzel. So good. I think I will have to make the soft pretzel pit stop a tradition after long boardwalk runs. I also ate one after this epic workout. It is the perfect post long run snack.
This run was definitely a confidence booster. Now that I know I can run half of the marathon at my goal pace, I feel like I am halfway there. There are a lot of other factors to consider of course, but I feel that I am on the right track. This upcoming week also marks the halfway mark of marathon training. Just about 2 months until the big day...
10 comments:
Nicely done! You are super fast!!
A soft pretzel after a run sounds divine!!
Your speed ceases to amaze me. Are you doing the Asbury 5k next weekend?
Awesome long run! Great job hitting your splits for the whole run, you definitely are well on your way to that BQ!!!
Nice job on that run!
Great job! In cooler temps you'll run even faster:)
You are doing so good! Those types of runs are the best! Congrats! I love soft pretzels so I bet it was really good!
Great run, Keri! That's exactly what this kind of run is for: confidence boosting! You can definitely do this! :)
You go girl!! That sounds like it was an amazing run- that is one of the best feelings in the world. It makes such a huge difference in your outlook just to know your body *can* do whatever intimidating obstacles training gives you!
Damn you are fast girl! Way to go!!
Wow, you are super fast! Congrats on an awesome time for a training run! I would take that time during a half any day :)
Post a Comment