Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What is wrong with me?

I think something is wrong with me...I actually like to study. As some of you know, I have been training for the ACE Personal Trainer Test. I am currently certified in group fitness, and want to take the personal trainer test as well. A career in fitness would nicely supplement my 10 month teaching schedule :) Plus, I am just really interested in how and why the body works. It is truly fascinating. Anyway, a couple of months ago I ordered a copy of the text book and study guide. ACE offers a variety of study options...you can literally spend hundreds of dollars on study materials, but being that the test itself is a couple of hundred dollars I tried to spend as little as possible on the study materials. There is a lot more material to study for the PT test than there was for the GFI (group fitness instructor) test. A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to my pilates instructor who I take reformer classes with. She started a 500 hour yoga instructor program and I mentioned to her that I have been studying for the PT test. It turns out she is also certified in personal training through ACE and she brought in these study CDs for me!


These are seriously wonderful. Personally, I am more of a visual learner, but being that there is so. much. information to learn, it is nice to get it drilled into my head all different ways. Another bonus is that I can study while driving! I love multitasking! Now that I am off for a few weeks, I have more time to study. I hope to register for the test soon. I just want to have a better handle some of the material before I commit.

I don't know if I mentioned it on the blog before, but I have been wanting to attend this fabulous fitness conference in Miami this November. Unfortunately, Dan is not as enthusiastic about the convention as I am, and there is that tiny obstacle called work. Anyway, in the mail today, I received information about a traveling Boot Camp Workout Conference...15 minutes away from my apartment! The conference offers 8 classes and you can take as few as one class, or all 8 of them. Furthermore, they offer Continuing Education Credits for my Group Fitness Cert. which I need more of! I just have to double check on my availability that weekend but these are the classes I plan to sign up for:

~Extreme Interval Training
~Explosive Performance Drills
~Essential Boot Camp Drills

The conference is pretty affordable and so close! I guess I really can't justify Miami now :(

Okay I'm off...

Plan for the day:
~Walk the pup
~Run
~Athletic Yoga
~Whole Foods
~Study

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to get certified in Spinning and PT so bad!!!! As soon as I get some money saved up, I am totally going for it!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

Thats so cool that she had the additional material for you to study! :D I generally like to learn new things and study things when I'm not forced to do it (IE: School) :)

Amber said...

I'm big on multitasking too so that's awesome you can listen to them while driving! I think it's very cool that you are working towards being a personal trainer! That was always my back-up career plan, actually! Haha

Maureen Lisa said...

Go Keri Go! When I get rich can I pay you to drive down to South Jersey and train me? You're gonna be so good at it!

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

Good luck with your ACE studying!! Let me know if you have any questions...the message boards on the ACE website were EXTREMELY helpful for me, believe it or not!! Also, definitely buy the 2 practice tests online..they give you an idea of how the test is going to go, and they are both different, covering different topics--it was worth the money to me! I re-took the ACE test last year..and I am a TERRIBLE test taker, so I needed all the help I could get!! I know my stuff, but put me in a room with a computer and tricky wording...all my confidence is lost!

I am re-thinking Miami too..it's just SOO much $$ between hotel, airfare, and the fees for the conference..and the classes I am most interested in are extra. What's this traveling boot camp all about??? Sounds great! Theres a conference here in Philly in February, only drawback--its in February, and if our winter is anything like last year...theres a good chance that I don't make it!!!!