Monday, August 23, 2010

Humbling Run

I hope everyone had a nice weekend. I had a fun and busy one. Friday night Dan and I went to dinner and a comedy club to see one of the guys from The Last Comic Standing. He was pretty funny but I tend to think that comics are funnier on tv when they have to censor their language. Overall, the show was really good but some so many performers get up there and keep repeating 4-letter words and think they are being funny. Regardless, we laughed a lot. We went to the early show so we could get home early because I was waking up at 6am to get a long run in. Or so I thought. Unfortunately, I woke up at 4:45am with horrible stomach pain. Being that it was "that time of the month" I took some medicine and tried to go back to sleep. I couldn't sleep and after about an hour of agony threw up. By this point I thought maybe I had some type of food poisoning but Dan and I ate exactly the same foods and he felt fine. I called my dad to cancel my run :( Finally, a little after 6 o'clock, the medicine kicked in and I was able to go back to sleep for a bit. When i woke up a little later I was feeling better, although, pretty dehydrated. My dad had already gone out on his run; he ended up doing 14 miles. I was feeling pretty guilty for not running and ended up going out and doing about 5 1/2 miles. Not the smartest idea, but it did make me feel better.

Stats:
5.50 miles
45:44
8:18 average pace

Sunday, I was feeling much better and headed out with my dad for 10 miles. This was probably the hardest long run of all of Steamtown Marathon training so far! It amazes me how one week you can go out and rock a 20 mile run and then the next week, you don't know if you can even finish the 10. Not a single split was within 8-minutes; they were all over 9 minutes and my heart rate monitor said the majority of my run was spent in zone 4. Zone 4?! Long slow runs should be spent mostly in zone 3 (more about that in another post). This basically means that the run was as hard as it felt!

Painful 10-miler
10.01
1:34:04
9:24 pace

Average HR: 186
Max HR: 193

Plan for the Day:
Yoga
Meeting
Run

I added a Training Tools tab to my home page. Somethings you can find there are: charts and tables, running prediction calculator, heart rate information, etc. I will continue to add information to this page. Be sure to check it out.

5 comments:

Robyn said...

Sorry to hear about your tummy troubles. I'm sure the next long run will feel like a piece of cake!

Stephanie said...

I hope you are feeling better. I agree training runs can be so strange, the ones you think will be maangeable end up being the worst. Way to still get out there and get it done.

This weeks run will be waaay better!

Stephanie said...

I hope you are feeling better. I agree training runs can be so strange, the ones you think will be maangeable end up being the worst. Way to still get out there and get it done.

This weeks run will be waaay better!

NY Wolve said...

Heart rates are funny things, and affected by many things,including hydration, sleep, medicines, etc. And yes it is disconcerting to have a great run one day and then just struggle the next.

And that is one cute puppy too...

Anonymous said...

Ugh- tummy troubles are no good!

At least after a bad run, a good one feels GREAT!