Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Halfway Through Marathon Training Reflection

As many of you know, I am following a 16 week training program (The FIRST program) that emphasizes low mileage, high intensity work and cross training. The first marathon I trained for last year, I followed a very old Runner's World training plan that did not include any speed work. My dad and I added in Yass 800s once a week, but otherwise followed the plan. I thrive on the speed work, so I have mostly been enjoying this training cycle, however, I cannot help but feel a little disappointed with my low weekly mileage. I have been following the plan pretty closely, with a few exceptions. I found that I didn't like only running 3 days a week so I added a recovery run in lieu of one cross training day and upped to 4 runs per week. Instead of aerobic cross training (like you are supposed to do) I usually cross train with some type of strength training activity such as Pilates or FIT. Regardless, I feel as though the first half of marathon training went well! I feel stronger, and faster. I am not burnt out and actually look forward to the runs. It has been difficult training for an early fall marathon in the brutal heat and humidity, but overall training has been going well.

Weekly Training Totals
Week 1~22.6
Week 2~24.15
Week 3~35.37
Week 4~29.21
Week 5~28.04
Week 6~26.02
Week 7~27.10
Week 8~31.51
*Note: A week is from Sunday-Saturday. I tend to change the long run day depending on my schedule which is why some of the weeks don't look balanced.

There are 8 weeks of training left, and the last 3 are taper weeks so that leaves 5 weeks of peak training to go. Here is what the 2nd half of training looks like:



Sorry it is crooked! I can't believe there are only 2 months to go! On Monday, I completed the first track workout and today i plan to tackle Key Workout #2. Happy Wednesday!

8 comments:

Robyn said...

Congrats on making it halfway there. Do you think if you could start again you'd go with a different kind of training plan?

Stephanie said...

Congrats on making it to the halfway mark, it's all downhill from here!

NY Wolve said...

I still have my FIRST training schedule up on my bulletin board. yes the runs are lower than normal, but as you make your way in the coming weeks, they get harder and longer. I was just wiped out after running them. And it is good that you haven't missed! Given the scarcity of runs, missing one or so is a real problem. Good luck with next 4 weeks -- those are challenging.

Unknown said...

Congrats on your training! It looks like you're well on your way to a good race.

I just wanted to let you know that the Runner's World program has been updated to include speedwork - the first half incorporates hill training to produce speed, while the second half (which I'm starting next week!) starts incorporating more tempo and Yasso 800's into the training.

I'd be curious at the end of your training whether or not you felt the FIRST program gave you enough miles to effectively run a marathon. I'm feeling the effects of running 5 or more days a week, and it may be better in the future to run less often!

Maureen Lisa said...

Good job! I miss doing the track workouts. They are definitely fun.

Amber said...

I'm a fellow speed-work lover! I do one tempo run and one track session a week right now. Love them both!

Glad to hear you're enjoying your plan. Out of curiosity, what is the highest weekly mileage you hit?

All Things Jaime said...

Half Way .... so exciting!! I'm intrigued by your training plan and am seriously thinking about using it next time. Would love to hear a full review once Steamtown is run!! :)

Running and living said...

As you know I followed FIRST and did the low mileage thing and ran a 3:44 on the tough Boston course on my first marathon (and BQed). So the plan works!