Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Let the Training Begin!

Please excuse the blog layout changes...I have been playing with it so it is constantly changing. I am kind of liking the new tabs though. I am actually thinking about hiring someone to give me a whole new look. Any suggestions? I don't even know where to start...

Anyway, this week starts MARATHON TRAINING! My Dad and I are running the Steamtown Marathon on October 10th and will be using the Run Less, Run Faster plan for a goal time of 3:30. Here is the first 8 weeks of the plan.


The book Run Less, Run Faster has plans for all different race distances as well as plans with specific times to target all 16 Boston qualifying times!

It is a 16 week program and like the rest of the Run Less plans, it incorporates 3 workouts: Track, Tempo, and Long.

The first workout was 3 x 1600 (@ 6:41) w/ a 1 min RI. Since I had the 5k Monday night and ran the race at a 6:18 pace I am using that as my first track workout.

Tuesday was a cross training day. I did Athletic Yoga in the morning followed by the elliptical and then Reformer Pilates in the afternoon.

Today I ran the tempo run. It was supposed to be 2 mile warm-up, 2 mile tempo @ 7:14, 2 mile cool down.

Here's what we did:

5.50 miles
44:12 minutes
8:02 average pace
6:04 best pace

1.5 mile warm-up (8:12, 8:38)
2 mile tempo (7:01, 6:59)
2 mile cool down (9:17, 8:21)

I plan to do my long run (13 miles) on Friday morning. Oh the joy of being off from work! Too bad I can't train for all my races this way :)

4 comments:

Amber said...

Oooh good luck! I am training for my FIRST marathon on October 10 and decided that my 5 runs/week training plan was too hard for my injury-prone body. So starting next week I'm cutting it back to 4 runs/week. I'm sad because like you I LOVE running and I love to go out and do nice easy runs but I think 4 days/week will be the best for my silly shin!

Natasha said...

you impress me more and more lady!!! that is a CRAZY running schedule and i just know you'll hit 3:30 no problem.. good luck and i cant wait to hear all about it

All Things Jaime said...

Sub 3:30 ... I'm confident you can do it!

I follow this program mostly, too! But I run 6-8 milers on my "easy" days instead of cross training!

So far, your training is definitely off to a great start!

julie said...

Hey! Great blog!

Have you used the Run Less, Run Faster book before? I am thinking about checking it out. I have been using Daniels' Running Formula which I like a lot but I always like to check out different training plans.