Tuesday, June 22, 2010

President's Cup 5k Race Report


Official Stats
3.1 miles
19:37
6:18 pace

125 overall
9/591 females
7/92 age group

Garmin Stats
3.12
19:35
6:17 average pace
4:47 best pace

Splits
Mile 1~ 6:11
Mile 2~ 6:23
Mile 3~ 6:25
Mile 3.1~ 5:03 pace

I have been running the President's Cup race since I was in high school and before I considered myself a "runner." I love the festive feel of this race *This may have something to do with the Sam Adams that constantly flowing* More than a few runners fueled up pre-race with a glass of Cherry Wheat. Not me of course :) This was my 6th time running this race and I have definitely improved since I started running it.

2002~25:32
2003~25:40
2004~24:45
2008~21:34
2009~19:35
2010~19:35

I am thrilled that I broke 20 minutes again...I have not done it since last year's President's Cup and I did not think I was in shape to do it again but I was definitely channeling those 400s during the race last night. The course was obviously very fast and flat and it also helped that Dan, my mom, and a friend of mine were in the audience cheering us on and I didn't want to disappoint. Whatever it was, it was a fantastic way to kick off my (week of) summer vacation...and what a great start it has been off too.

Pre-race activities


End of the race...

Question: Just curious, what do you count as your PR? Official time? Chip time? Garmin time? I tend to use chip time/garmin time as it is a more accurate reflection of ability versus how far back you start.

3 comments:

All Things Jaime said...

I use chip time! It's an accurate measure of your time - from when you cross the start line to the finish. I guess if I pr'ed in a race that didn't have chip time, I'd use garmin time (to subtract those few seconds until I cross the start)! I don't think I'd be running any halfs or full marathons that didn't use chip time though! :)

GREAT job on your sub 20! Even if it were the same exact time as last year! You've got a lot faster since 2002! That is awesome!

All Things Jaime said...

PS: Can you move to Florida so that you can show me how to run 5K's!!

Anonymous said...

Chip time! Great time and yay for vacation! Your pup is SUPER cute.