Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mini 10k Race Report

This weekend I ran my first NY Road Runners Race in Central Park. Let me tell you what an honor it was to run with so many amazing women. The Mini is truly an amazing event that draws women from all over the world. From elite runners, Olympians, professional runners, road racers, casual runners, etc., this race welcomes everyone, as long as you are female.

Here is an article from the New York Times about the event.

Official Stats

43:43
7:03 average pace
147 overall/gender (it was a women only event)

54th age group
*Over 5000 women finished the race.

Garmin Stats
:
6.32 miles
43:44
6:55 average pace
5:06 best pace

Splits: 6:35, 6:40, 6:48, 7:17, 7:01, 7:03, 2:18 (7:06 pace)

The Report
As I mentioned earlier, this was my first NYRR Race and it was definitely worth doing. I originally signed up for the race after reading that Kara Goucher and Paula Radcliffe were running it (although not racing, because they are both pregnant). I figured any race that was good enough for them was good enough for me :) Actually I thought I might be able to catch a glimpse of these superstar athletes (and I got more than that...yay!)

The course was beautiful, the weather was beautiful, and the event was amazingly organized. I would definitely love to run another race on this course. I set out to run for fun and did just that. I wasn't worried about my time, although I did run the best I could. The course is a bit hilly, as so many of you know and the morning was a bit humid. I held it together pretty well for the first half but came undone after the 5k point. I slowed down tremendously (I'm sure it didn't help that I went out a little to fast, as usual) and during the last mile I got a terrible cramp. I can't even remember the last time I had a cramp during a race but it is not fun. I finished the best I could, but I did not feel strong. I am not disappointed, though, I still had a blast and if nothing else it was a great 6-mile tempo run.

Being that the race was a women-only event, my dad played photographer for the day. He was a trooper running all over Central Park to see me at various parts of the race. It was fun to have him there cheering me on, because usually he is running too! Here are some of the shots he got:


Stretching




So many ladies


Lined up in the corral


I figured since it was an all women event, I would break out the running skirt...






Mile 1...still looking happy


So much pink!


Mile 5


Love this one...so much pain!


Finally...the finish!


Looking a bit happier...

Its tradition :)


Post-race party

He got so many pics, too many to include in one post so as a little motivation for us all, stayed tuned for another post with pictures of the elite runners. Next up...meeting Paula and Kara!!

6 comments:

Running and living said...

Great job! I know it is not as fast as you wanted, but you placed really well!!!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Congrats! I think you did fantastic! Can't wait to hear about meeting Paula and Kara!

All Things Jaime said...

Great job!!! Isn't Kara so nice! I haven't posted my pictures from San Diego yet. Oh, I need to!!!

And, yes, you can definitely say that you beat Paula Radcliffe in a race!! :)

Robyn said...

Wow what an awesome time, you're so fast! What did you think of the hills? NYRR races are definitely the more organized of the bunch.

The Runner's Kitchen said...

Nice job on the race! I also slowed a bit in the final miles. I'm convinced the 4th mile is long - it's always a good 10 or 15 seconds slower than the others.

Any more NYRR races in your summer plans??? :)

Sarah K said...

I just found your blog and wanted to say hi! I ran this race also...I thought the whole event was so inspiring!