Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Racing Flats...I need your help!

Okay everyone, I need your help! I want to buy racing shoes. I have narrowed it down to 3 finalists. They are:

Shoe #1: Saucony Grid Fastwitch 4



The Details:
(From the website)

Experienced runners and beginners alike will keep their cool in this ultra-stylish and high-performing shoe from Saucony. Constructed with a sturdy yet flexible mesh upper, the Fastwitch features protective overlays at the toe and heel and generous padding at the collar, tongue and footbed for support. A soft fabric-covered lining provides breathability and moisture absorbency, while the flexible traction-patterned rubber sole offers excellent grip and durability.

item details:

* Dual Density SSL EVA Midsole for great cushioning, support and responsiveness
* Grid Cushioning System
* Breathable

Pros: Super light, pretty inexpensive, and I kind of like the color.
Cons: ??
Price: I found this pair on Endless for $63.71.
Weight: 6.0 Ounces

Shoe #2:
Mizuno Musha 2


The Details:


SmoothRide Engineering minimizes the rapid acceleration and deceleration of the foot during transition, creating the smoothest ride possible.


Pros: I always run in Mizunos so I am confident this is a good shoe that will fit well.
Cons: Let's face it, they are ugly! Although, they do make a blue and yellow pair...
Price: $79.94
Weight: 7.8 Ounces


Shoe #3:
Brooks Unisex T6 Racer



The Details:

Searching for that new PR for any distance up to the half marathon? The T6 Racer is just the ticket. The T6 weighs next to nothing (6.1 oz), feels like an extension of your foot, and provides the right amount of protection to take you the distance. Note: As this shoe is a very lightweight, minimal support racing flat, the vast majority of runners will not find it “enough shoe” for a full marathon. If you have a light frame and a biomechanically efficient stride, however, you may be able to get away with it. Brooks suggest you work up to it in several half marathon-plus races beforehand to see how it works for you before running in it for a full marathon.


Pros
: Out of all the shoes I have researched, this one had by far, the best reviews.
Cons: The shoe is unisex and I am ordering it online. For women, they recommend buying a size and a half smaller than your typical shoe size but I'm still uneasy about how it is going to fit.
Price: $76.46
Weight: 6.1 Ounces


So what do you think? Thoughts please!

Questions
: Do you wear racing flats? How many pairs of shoes do you train in? Do you have different shoes depending on the activity?

I am used to want 2 pairs of current running shoes- one pair to train in and one to race in. Now I want a pair of actual racing flats, but depending on the shoe, I may only be able to wear it for shorter race distances (anything under a 1/2 marathon.) I don't want to get hurt!

4 comments:

Maggs said...

I finally broke away from the the structured cushioned shoe and wear light weight trainers most of the time. I race in those mostly, but also have some racing shoes that I wear from time to time. It took me a while to get away from the cushioning, about 3 months of weaning myself off of it slowly with short runs here and there and finally building up the mileage in the 'lesser' shoe, but i've been injury free ever since.

Anonymous said...

I think Mizunos are great. I wear Asics but Mizunos come in a close second for me! I say go with those, plus I love the color.

Maureen Lisa said...

We normally suggest when fitting people that you should go with whatever has worked for you. Never pay attention to color!

If you've worn Mizuno's and you're comfortable in them I'd say stick to them. You know the size will be right and I think the blue and yellow is better ha. Plus, when you're ready for the Mizuno Inspire 6 we have them in the pink,black, and white and they are adorable (it takes all my energy not to buy them just because) http://www.runningcompanyshoes.com/MizunoWaveInspire-6.html (pic and price there!)

So that's my suggestion. We have the t6 racer here and I was going to try on to figure out what size would fit me but we didn't have any small enough for me, I'm a 7.5 and would need a 6 based on the website.

Good luck let me know which one you choose!

Running and living said...

I like Nike Frees. They are very stable and comfortable and light (5.5 oz). I am also going to get a pair of Fastwitches 4 bc I have a gift certificate to a store that does not sell the Nike Frees. I still use the heavy shoes (Asics Kayano's, Adidas Cushion, Saucony's trail) for the long and easy runs, but am working toward transitioning to using the Frees for more and more of my runs.