Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Steamtown Elevation

This is why we chose to run the Steamtown Marathon:

Elevation Charts

Miles 1-13


Miles 14-26


Up close look at the final stretch
Miles 23-26

Is that cheating?? How do you choose races/marathons? What big races or marathons do you have coming up that you are training for?

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

We had actually looked at Steamtown for the huge downhills, but living in super flat Florida I was even nervous for such large downhills because I would have no way to train for it.

I think it will be an awesome course to run, I bet it's quite quick.

I look for flatness in all my races, hills terrify me!

All Things Jaime said...

Love the charts! I am jealous! I've ran some hilly marathons and they definitey take their toll ... 3:20 for Keri?

Andrea said...

Absolutely not cheating at all! I will never run a particular 10K again because of a massive hill at mile 3.

My next big race is the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon in Philly on 9/19.

I'm week 2 in my training plan and documenting it all on my blog:

andreachronicles314.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

My next big race is the Nike Women's half in October. Then the RnR Vegas in December.

misszippy said...

Heck no, it's not cheating! It's a marathon, and it's a good PR course. I would actually like to run that one sometime, but my criteria tends to be time of year--I prefer Nov. races b/c I do better in cooler temps. It can be somewhat limiting, though, b/c so many marathons are in Oct.

Anonymous said...

I don't love hills- but I also suck at reading elevation charts. I learned this after doing Baltimore last year!!! I just like fun races...I look for fun above all else. Oh, and good swag!

Maggs said...

That's a LOT of downhill. Make sure you train to run them. It beats up the quads and then the flat parts later are super hard.

NY Wolve said...

Running downhill also had challenges. I had a friend who once tried to BQ there and it was a super hot day. So a marathon is still running 26.2 miles and never cheating.

Anonymous said...

I always check elevation charts when choosing a marathon! It's good to know how to prepare, and if you're attempting a BQ, you want something flat and fast. Not cheating! ;)