
Hey there!
So I was catching up on my blog reading this morning over breakfast and Run Sarah asked for new ab moves to switch things up. As I was commenting I kept thinking of all these great abdominal exercises and thought I would share some of my favorites with you. Just warning you, almost all of them are Pilates inspired :) The Roll up and spine twist are great exercises for lengthening the spine, therefore improving posture in addition to being killer ab moves!
Warm up for 10-20 minutes with some light cardio. You can do these exercises in order for a great ab workout or add them into a total body workout routine.
1.) Pilates Roll Up: Roll up and back slooooowly 5-10 times. Use your pants if you need help getting up. Try to flatten your stomach more each time. Try not to lean to one side or use momentum to get you up.
2.) The Hundred: If this is too hard, try these modifications. Remember to breathe. It helps :)
3.) T-Turn Push-up and Plank
OR
Side Plank (both sides) and Plank ups
4.) Spine Twist Ughhh I hate this one but it is a great one for those transverse muscles, the deepest layer of abs. Keep sucking in!!
*Note: Any exercise involving the spine poses a risk of injury to the back. Please do not do this exercise if you do not have a healthy back and please check with a doctor if you are unsure before doing any of these exercises :)
5.) Boat Pose
6.) Repeat Roll up. You can also hold a 3 lb. weight in each hand. The resistance will help you up.
Has anyone tried any of these exercises? What are your favorite abdominal moves?
7 comments:
Great post!! Thanks for sharing - I used to do pilates all the time and forgot how great the roll up and hundred are. I will have to do those again as well as the spine twist! Thank you so much for sharing.
Funny that you wrote this ... I'm devoting the month of July to my core ... and was going to blog about it today! :) I'll have to try some of these today! I've done a lot of pilates in the past ... but it's been a while :/
Thanks for sharing!
Love working core and love pilates core work too. I try to do a variety of ab work rather than just lying down and doing crunches or twists. I love doing stability ball abs too.
OOOH I definitely need to get some ab work in! Thanks for posting this.
I love core workouts! I love Pilates but I just cannot get there it seems- the classes at my gym always conflict with a group workout I have with my team!
Ooohhh I definitely need to work my core out more... I wish I had a personal trainer still... as hard as my workouts were it was so nice to have someone there to tell me what to do and when to do it... maybe someday I'll have another trainer!
I'm an ab whore, myself. I do ab workouts every other day. I've incorporate the plank and side planks into my routine, but also look for other things to include.
I have an exercise ball and find myself doing a lot of workouts on that. I also include a 10lb weight with anything I can.
Post a Comment