Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Advice from YOU and Giveaway Winners

Thank you for all your ski and snowboard tips, favorite books and for telling me your favorite speed workouts!

Here are some of your favorite speed workouts:

coach dion: 15-20 x 400m with 60 sec rest (and hills, but that is another story.)

Stephanie: I love 10x400 or ladders (1600, 1200,800,400,200) or 4x1600
 
All Things Jaime: Really? 800's are my favorite.
 
mmmonyka: Good job! I like 800s:)
I thought that my favorite workout was 5-6x1k at 5k pace. Now my favorite workout is 6xmile
 
Lizzy: like 800s way better than mile repeats especially when there are only four. I love ladder workouts best because I like to switch it up with 400s, 600s, 800s etc..

Favorite Books:

LindsLovesMiles: Sarah's Key, anything by Jennifer Weiner (fun, girly reading), and of course anything related to running!! Have a great trip!

Jogging with Fiction: Pride and Prejudice, but if we're talking something recent, I LOVED "I am Charlotte Simmons."
 
misszippy: I really enjoyed American Wife also! I just read Room...a real page turner, and I'm currently reading Freedom by Jonathon Franzen. I think Freedom may end up on my top 5 list of all time!
 
MuncherCruncher: I just finished one called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and it was SO good. I would highly recommend it!
 
Laura: As for favorite book of all time, I'll go with "Gone With the Wind." In the last year, my favorites have been "The Help," "The Recessionistas" (I think being in NJ you'd really like that one, since it's about women during the economic crisis and you probably know a lot of people similar to the main characters), and "the Art of Eating In" (about a Brooklyn girl who goes without eating in restaurants for two years).
 
All Things Jaime: I love to read, too! But, I've been in this girly book phase as of late (last 3 or so years). I think I remember commenting on your Emily Giffin book :) Love her!

Ski/Snowboard Tips:

ERG @ Elkton Runner: I would say that there is a learning curve to both. I haven't done either in a while, but it certainly helps to have the right snow so you don't fear falling. And FALL backwards!! Not forwards. =D

Nelly: -always have your strong foot in the back (ie if you are right footed, you should ride regular style with left foot forward and right foot behind)
-to turn keep your arms pointed to your side, and swivel your hips the direction you want to turn
-point to where you want to go to reinforce the whole "pointing your arms" trick
-always concentrate on putting constant pressure on the edge that you are currently riding on (either heel side if you are going left, or toe side if you are going right)
-don't duck your body to turn, because all this does is throw off your center of gravity and makes it easier to fall
-having knees slightly bent is generally best to try to turn in snowboarding
the dawn: yay for trying skiiing! i've never done that...but i love to snowboard. now, i only think it's fun if i'm with a group of people and we stop and rest a lot :)
MuncherCruncher” I like snowboarding better, but I'd just say stick with it! It takes a few times to get used to it and think it's fun. I am impressed with your long run on the treadmill, not easy to do!! Glad you had fun!

Giveaway Winners!

MuncherCruncher you won the make your own bumper sticker giveaway! This was really fun and I hope you post it for all of us to see. Please email me at theblueeyedrunner at gmail.com and I will get you in touch with the build-a-sign people!

The winners for my sticker and goodies giveaway are:

Jennifer Leah and Stacie! Please email me with your addresses and I will send you a little goody bag, including my bumper sticker :)

6 comments:

Stacie said...

Thanks for the great giveaway!!! I just emailed you.

mmmonyka said...

Good job skiing! I both ski and snowboard but I do not like it that much because I am always cold. I hate being cold!
But this year I bought hand warmers and it is awesome!!! However, I still wish I could ski and ride in summer.

It is very interesting to see what other people like, I loved this post. I don't like ladder intervals, it is not stereotypical enough for me:)
My mile workout is 6xmile @ around 10k pace with 1 min rest. Try it, it is awesome.

You should do "your least favorite workout" post now:)

Unknown said...

YAY!! I really love your sticker and will put it up on my wall of motivation :) will be sure to send you a pic!!
Thanks-

Some really great workout ideas too!!

All Things Jaime said...

Hahaha - Had I realized or known that you were going to post my responses to the world, I may have written a little more intellectual responses! :)

I do love 800's though!! :)

coach dion said...

Now you have to work all our favorite workouts into your program...

Muncher Cruncher said...

KERI!!! I can't believe I won!! I'm so excited :) You're the best...emailing you right now!!!!
xoxoxo
megs