I am home after an extended weekend in Vermont. We went to a friend’s condo at Mount Snow and there were 8 of us in all. It was fantastic, but it is good to be home.
We did a lot of relaxing by the fire:
I even skied for the first time!
Dan is a big snowboarder but I have never tried either. I took a 3 hour ski lesson yesterday. It was fun but I’m not dying to do it again. I only fell 2 or 3 times so I was happy about that.
I also had a long run to do this weekend. 13 miles on the treadmill in about 1:45 (2% incline). I am super proud of myself because I have never run that far on a treadmill before. I kept resetting the treadmill after 5 miles and blocked the screen with a magazine to distract myself. I also brought 2 magazines but was only able to look at the pictures.
I had a blast but am exhausted. We just got back a few hours ago. I’m off to pick up a pizza. Back to healthy eating tomorrow!
Ever ski or snowboard? Any tips?!
Edited to Add: I did not forget about the giveaway winners. I will announce them tomorrow!
12 comments:
My husband loves snowboarding but I really can live without it! I get cold, fall on my butt, hurt myself, and really, I'm too scared to get any speed. Oh, that and the 50-60 bucks that I pay to do all of this freezing and hurting = no fun for me. :)
Oh my! That must be the only way to get past 5 miles on the TM!
I would say that there is a learning curve to both. I haven't done either in a while, but it certainly helps to have the right snow so you don't fear falling. And FALL backwards!! Not forwards. =D
Way to go 13 on the treadmill!
that is ridiculously far to run on a treadmill, haha I like to snowboard, I thought taking a lesson the first time really helped me.
Some tips about snowboarding that I still try to remember sometimes:
-always have your strong foot in the back (ie if you are right footed, you should ride regular style with left foot forward and right foot behind)
-to turn keep your arms pointed to your side, and swivel your hips the direction you want to turn
-point to where you want to go to reinforce the whole "pointing your arms" trick
-always concentrate on putting constant pressure on the edge that you are currently riding on (either heel side if you are going left, or toe side if you are going right)
-don't duck your body to turn, because all this does is throw off your center of gravity and makes it easier to fall
-having knees slightly bent is generally best to try to turn in snowboarding
Blocking the screen on the treadmill is crucial for me! Though even with that, I almost wanted to die of boredom after an 11 mile run! (Even though normally I love the treadmill) I'm very impressed by your 13 miler!
yay for trying skiiing! i've never done that...but i love to snowboard. now, i only think it's fun if i'm with a group of people and we stop and rest a lot :)
good job on the 13 miler! i know that when you're away for the weekend it's crazy hard to find the motivation to get the miles in. so good for you!!
What a fun little get away! That fire looks mighty inviting! Way to go on the first time skiing. I live in/grew up in Utah which is total ski country, so I ski and snowboard. I like snowboarding better, but I'd just say stick with it! It takes a few times to get used to it and think it's fun. I am impressed with your long run on the treadmill, not easy to do!! Glad you had fun!
I want to go to Vermont...SO BAD!!! My clients have a house there and it always sounds so incredible!!! I hung out with a bunch of snowboarders in high school (they would go to Killington every year). A few of my friends had sponsorships. I never went boarding though. Not sure why? Maybe it was that I's so scared of heights! It always looked like so much fun though!
Fab treadmill run!! Mental toughness! You look so adorable in your ski gear!!
So, I was inspired by you and am reading Run Less, Run Faster. Are you following this to a T?
Would love to hear more of your thoughts!
I've got a friend who ran 50km on a treadmill I think he's mad, he could have run outside...
I don't mind long runs on the treadmill if there is something good on tv to hold my attention.
I am not a great skiier, but I have been a few times. We are actually getting ready to again in about 2 weeks! I find it harder as an adult than I did as a kid because when I was young I didn't care if I fell, or if I was being crazy, or what if I died? I think about all those things now, and it makes you a lot more timid when you are inexperienced. I think finding easy slopes that arent super crowded is a big thing, it lets you go at your own pace until you get comfortable enough with the motions.
I use to snowboard oftne. I haven't in a while. I loved it!! I'm affriad to try to ski. I have enough troule trying to control 1 board, let alone 2 skies.
Post a Comment