Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mom’s Birthday Carrot Cake

Or how I went from this:
DSC01036 

to this:

 DSC01052

There is something about winter that makes me want to cook and bake. In the summer I only want to eat cereal and sandwiches but in the winter I just want to make things.

Mom’s Birthday Carrot Cake
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 cups grated carrots
2/3 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch round pans. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs; add oil in a thin stream and beat well. Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking soda together; add egg and mix well. Fold in carrots and nuts. Pour into pans and back for 35 minutes. Set to cool.

Cream Cheese Icing
3 (8oz.) packages slightly softened cream cheese
3 cups confectioners’ sugar

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar and beat at high speed until smooth.

DSC01038

I am so proud of how this cake came out!

DSC01044  DSC01045

I decided to get fancy and add the remainder of the nuts on the side.

DSC01046

I had a blast decorating.

DSC01049  DSC01051

And everyone loved it.

IMG00160-20110117-2020

By the way my booty is super sore from yesterday’s Pilates class. Anyone who says Pilates is not a difficult workout is lying.

My school is on a delayed opening today because of an ice storm in New Jersey so I am taking my time to get ready and out the door. Not a bad way to ease into the week. Unfortunately, that means treadmill running later.

*What is your favorite dessert?

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

Such a good job on the cake! My home made cakes never look right, but you did a great job!

Hopefully you only have another day or so on the treadmill and you can get back outside, especially for that 20 miler this weekend.

Danielle said...

The cake looks so yummy!

LindsLovesMiles said...

Great job on the cake--I'm going to try it!!

Anonymous said...

That cake looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Ashley said...

Wow, my mouth is watering just by the pictures! Yum yum!

Jenn said...

Oh God! I am banning myself from blogs for the rest of the day. It's detrimental to my health-that cake looks TDF!! Carrot cake is my FAVORITE dessert! Hope the treadmill run goes well for you. Nasty here too!

Amber said...

O M G that LOOKS and SOUNDS to die for good! I love carrot cake!

Way to go, I am very impressed with your baking skills :)

coach dion said...

I turn 42 in December, can you bake me a carrot cake?

Angie said...

Your cake looking amazing!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :) My favorite dessert is ice cream cake! yum!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

THAT LOOKS SO SO SO GOOD!! You always say how you don't cook or bake but I think you are secretly a famous chef:) That looks so good. Red Velvet cupcakes are my fave lately! I am excited for you to try the Beta Alanine....let me know what you thinK:)

dawn @ running the dawn said...

we ended up having school canceled for the day!!!! i can't believe that i had a 4 day weekend! so exciting.

that cake looks amazing! carrot cake is mr. dawn's favorite ever. he had it as the "groom's cake" at our wedding.

Running and living said...

That cake looks awesome! Not as awesome as your mom, but close:)

Brittany said...

OMG...drooling!! That cake looks amazing, I want it! I also seem to want to bake way more in the winter. :)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Did your mom love it?!!

Looks unbelievable!