Friday, January 7, 2011

On a Mission

Active.com posted this article on facebook yesterday about developing a mission statement and why you need one. I think they definitely have a point. It definitely got me thinking.

Last night, I got my booty handed to me by treadmill.

Speed Workout: 4 x 800s
5 miles
39 minutes
10 minute warm up (8:30 pace)
4 x 800s (3:00, 3:00, 3:19, 3:20)

2 minute recovery jog between each split except in the middle when I needed a 4 minute jog. I was seriously sucking wind after the first two 800s and was afraid I wasn’t going to be able to complete the workout so I slowed the treadmill down for the final two. I figured it was better than not doing all 4 or walking.

I keep forgetting how freaking hard 800s are!! Hopefully they will get easier :) I always underestimate this workout. It looks a lot easier on paper.

Thank you for your book suggestions. I have a confession. I spend wayyyy too much money buying books. I mean, its not like I need to buy a new book. I still have all these to read or finish:

DSC00991  DSC00992

I just love getting new books. I can never just read one book straight through, I love to have 2 or 3 or 4 going at the same time. So of course I had to download The Recessionistas for my Sony Reader. Thanks for the suggestion, Laura!

This late Christmas gift also just came in the mail:

DSC00990Cookbook! So excited.

The Athlete’s Palate is based on the popular Runner’s World column and I can’t wait to make some of the recipes.
Have a great Friday!

Questions:
Favorite training distance or workout?
Do you have a mission statement?
(personal or professional?)
At first this mission statement thing seemed a little daunting but really it is just a mantra for what you are all about.

16 comments:

Running and living said...

Great workout. I rarely buy books, I get everything I need at the library. This means more money for lululemon stuff:)

coach dion said...

My favorite session is 15-20 x 400m with 60 sec rest, I love 400's (and hills, but that is another story.)

Now I don't won't to talk out of line, but if you ran your 800m in 3:10 this week and maybe next, then try a couple of weeks at 3:05 before aiming at 3:00. Then by the time you are running them at 3;00 you will be able to do 6 of them.

Good Luck

Stephanie said...

I LOATHE 800's, they are my least favorite of it all!

I love 10x400 or ladders (1600, 1200,800,400,200) even 4x1600 isnt bad, but don't ever ask me to do 800's I made that a rule that my coach can no longer do 800's at track workouts, or I will change it :)

Great job though, way to change the pace rather than bail on the last 2, I would have bailed!

Anonymous said...

Tough workout. My speed work this week was a wake-up call...I have lots of work ahead of me!
I have The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Born to Run sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read too!

Runners Fuel said...

The girl with the dragon tattoo was pretty goo (the movie was too).

Jennifer said...

I am still not a runner yet :( but I still want to be! I have a full home gym but no treadmill (And I can't run outside) so I just got a cheap gym membership so I can use their treadmills!

I am a total book-aholic too. I spend wayyyy too much on books and always have a pile that I have yet to get to lol.

xoxo jen from shesafitchick.com <3

Anonymous said...

I recently wrote a mission statement for my photography blog and I'm thinking about writing one for my health and fitness blog, but I don't have one for my overall life. I never thought about it!

Also, I can never resist buying new books. I just went to Barnes & Noble last night, despite having about 10 books on my "to read" list! Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is on my list too!

Unknown said...

Geez louise girl! You are so fast! I look at your repeat times and am blown away.

Get readin'! I haven't read all of those but I hear they're ALL good. :)

Amanda@runninghood said...

What did you say your marathon goal was? These are great splits. and I love to read...books are a weakness for me. I have written several mission statements.

All Things Jaime said...

Really? 800's are my favorite. They key is to make sure you're really warmed up. Even if I jog a mile to a mile and a half before, I still can't run faster than say 3:18ish on my first. But, then by the fifth or sixth I'm in the 3:02-3:08 range!! Even after 10 min. of warm up a 3:00 800 is speedy!! If you were outside, you could have done some strides before starting, too!!

Either way, great job finishing and not quitting. That 3:20 is still speedy!!!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I NEED TO WRITE A MISSION STATEMENT!! Thanks for the reminder!! Great workout speedy woman....it is hard doing speed workouts on the treadmill for me. Please share your fave recipes with me!

Nelly said...

Wow, you ran a speed workout on a treadmill? That is hardcore. If you ran your 800s in 3 minutes, that means the treadmill was at 10 mph. When I am in top shape I could probably do that, but having the treadmill rolling that fast almost seems dangerous to me, haha Generally the max speed I ever go up to is 9 mph. But maybe I'll have to try doing a speed workout on a treadmill, haha

mmmonyka said...

Good job! I like 800s:)
I love book sbut they cost too mucha nd are too heavy:(

I thought that my favorite workout was 5-6x1k at 5k pace. But after I have realized that my 5k pace is faster than what I thought it was, I do not like this workout anymore because it is too fast:) But I always do 4k sub-tempo before these intervals with 3min rest between tempo and intervals, therefore those 1k intervals are even harder.
Now my favorite workout is 6xmile, no sub-tempo prior and easy 6:20-6:25 pace. So easy. I LOVE it. (Maybe I should try harder and get out of my comfort zone, hm. But I am hoping to get it down to sub 6min pace in years to come)

dawn @ running the dawn said...

i love that we're following similar plans! i did my 4x800's on wednesday. luckily i was able to go to the track because it hadn't started snowing yet (now everything is covering in several inches of snow). they were super hard! i actually walked for my two minutes...but i was able to hang on and get them done. not sure what i'll do next week if the track is buried in snow...

Lizzy said...

I like 800s way better than mile repeats especially when there are only four. Later in training there will be 8 an that will suck! I love ladder workouts best because I like to switch it up with 400s, 600s, 800s etc..

Laura said...

I really think you'll LOVE The Recessionistas! Glad you were able to find it - it doesn't seem to be too widespread yet, though I'm surprised because it's such a great book and a fitting topic.

I get all my books from the library, so the most I ever have to pay is a few quarters in late fees (which sometimes happens when I'm traveling for a long stretch and can't get to the library to return things). I justify it because I'd be spending a LOT more if I bought the books! I too am a very fast reader, so I would have shelves and shelves of books if I bought everything I read; as it is, I have an entire shelf of library books in my queue!