Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sweets and Spinach

You know those people that are just not ‘sweets’ people? They could have their pick of anything they want and they would chose a bag of chips and salsa? Those people that don’t really care for chocolate or candy? They would rather eat an appetizer at a restaurant than get a dessert?

That is so NOT me.

All day yesterday I was looking forward to this

IMG00160-20110117-2020 

Thank you for all your nice comments yesterday. I was extremely proud of this cake and just had to share it with you. Let me know if you make it. It was honestly pretty easy to make. The hardest part was grating those damn carrots. Halfway through I realized I could probably use the blender. Oops. But by then I had already solicited Dan to grate and I was off the hook. Next time.

Since we went out to dinner on Saturday night to celebrate my mom’s birthday, we had the family over on Monday (her actual birthday) for a home cooked meal at the apartment. We went to Whole Foods to buy all the ingredients and grabbed lunch while we were there. Since Whole Foods is a bit of a drive, I don’t get to go their often, so when I do get the chance to go, I like to load up on the loose spinach.

IMG00162-20110119-0637 This, my friends, is what $13 of spinach looks like. 2 pounds people. Crazy. I think I may turn green. Fortunately, Dan loves spinach as much as I do and he thinks we can eat the whole bag in 2 meals. We will see.

Yesterday I was very sore. I’m not sure if it was the run or Pilates or some combination of the two but I was feeling it. I ran on the treadmill for before Pilates yesterday but was only able to get 3 easy miles in. I think the build phase is the hardest for me. Fortunately, I am almost there.

I think there is a couple of ways to look at guys stepping up their game. Either be inspired by it or give up. I have always chosen to be inspired.
~Ryan Hall

See you in Boston Ryan!

*What is your favorite fruit or veggie? And why am I so into food lately? Must be running all those additional miles…

*Giveaway winner will be announce tomorrow!

12 comments:

misszippy said...

That's lots of spinach, to be sure! Good luck getting it in two meals...let us know.

Angie said...

Wow! That is a lot of spinach!! Do you eat it like a salad or do you cook meals with it?

My favorite veggie is broccoli. It is so tasty sauted, I'm not a huge fan of it raw. I also love pretty much all fruits. Watermelon is probably my favorite. I wish it was always in season! MMmmm :-)

Stephanie said...

That's a lots of $$ for spinach. I buy a 2lb box of organic spinach from Costco for $4.29. I go through 2 of those (4lbs in 5-6 days...just me!)

I love spinach, it is so much more interesting and nutritious than regualr lettuce! Let me know if you make something tasty with it all!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

So much spinach!! LOVE IT!! I am totally a sweets persons:) Favorite fruit is a mango and fave veggie is broccoli. Love the Ryan Hall quote....we better find him while we are there!

HowdyFromNYC said...

I'm with you - such a sweets kinda girl. Does chocolate count as a vegetable? :)

All Things Jaime said...

I love spinach! It's my favorite. I eat it several times a week for dinner (just sauteed with olive oil and garlic salt). YUM!! I could eat that entire bag!!

Love sweets, too! I may have to try that carrot cake!!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I would totally be picturing that delicious carrot cake too!! Wow!

You need to post pics of the Spinach meals! Holy greens girl!

p.s. I was looking over your detailed race report from Philly. RLRF certaily worked for you!!!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

i love spinach too! i had some today on my lunch wrap. yummm! i love that when i eat it i actually feel like i'm making my body better with each bite :)

i'm really into raspberries right now. i picked a whole bunch this summer and froze them. SO DELICIOUS!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

i love spinach too! i had some today on my lunch wrap. yummm! i love that when i eat it i actually feel like i'm making my body better with each bite :)

i'm really into raspberries right now. i picked a whole bunch this summer and froze them. SO DELICIOUS!

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

That is so NOT me as well. I am the opposite of not a sweets person ;-)

However, since preggo....I have been craving more savory things. That never was before!

I can not pick a fav veggie. I am sorry. They are all amazing and I want them all, all the time. I am also food obsessed lately.

Unprofessional said...

JUST the right amount of spinach...

Laura said...

Chips and salsa girl is definitely me. Although, that's a bit healthier than what my deepest darkest cravings are: loaded nachos with black beans, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and tons of ooey gooey cheese.

(My sister-in-law's party-sized tray of taco dip was mostly devoured by me last weekend... shhh, don't tell)