Before going to the grocery store yesterday, I asked Dan to pick out a new recipe from The Athlete’s Palate cookbook and this is what he chose. Unfortunately, I had to modify it a lot because my supermarket didn’t have plum tomatoes! Oh well, it still came out delicious.
Marathon Fettuccine in Tomato Sauce and Shrimp
Adapted from The Runner’s Palate
Makes 4 Servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
2 table spoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium Spanish onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. crushed red-pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons fresh basil
3/4 pound fresh fettuccine (I used spinach fettuccine)
The original recipe called for 12 plum tomatoes to make the sauce but as I said, my grocery store didn’t have any so I tried to mimic the recipe the best I could with canned tomatoes. I used more diced tomatoes to get that chunkier texture.
Shrimp
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper (to taste)
20 shrimp
The recipe called for 20 large shrimp, but I had a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer so I just used what I had. I also threw in the rest of a bag of frozen scallops.
Directions
Get the sauce going first. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft (2-3 min). Add crushed red pepper flakes and cook another 30 seconds.
Start boiling the water for the pasta and cook pasta when water is ready.
Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and salt and pepper and cook another 20-30 minutes. Stir in basil. Add cooked pasta and stir.
Heat oil for shrimp in a saute pan over medium heat until shimmering. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are golden brown on both sides (approx 1-2 minutes per side).
Plate pasta and top with shrimp. Serve with crusty bread and vino :)
*What is your favorite type of pasta?
I love to put shrimp and scallops on pasta and play around with the different types of pasta and sauces.
10 comments:
oh, that looks TDF! I will have to try this for sure!
I love any and all types of pasta. My favorite is from a restaurant near by. Its a penne pasta with a garlic and olive oil sauce, mixed in is a TON of spinach and a bit of ricotta cheese
That seriously looks delicious. Too bad my husband hates seafood and I don't eat any other meat! Maybe I can make it when he's away on business!
yum! good work on refueling after your 20-miler! i was so tired yesterday after my run. i was supposed to go with mr. dawn to a concert and bailed on him at the last minute. i was in bed by 9:00
I am making this tonight! I have been looking for a yummy recipe to make with the shrimp that's been hanging out in my freezer. Thanks for posting this!
MMMmmmm, that looks good. Thanks, I will need to get lunch early today. :)
This looks so delicious! I love all things pasta and all things seafood. I love white wine sauces and red sauces, but no heavy alfredo sauces!!
YUM!!!!
THAT LOOKS AMAZING!! I will be making that! I love penne noodles, shrimp and pesto...I am so hungry now ha! Have a great MondaY!
Oh my, this looks so good! I must make this for dinner on Wednesday for my hubby! Thanks! Keep em coming!
Umm. So I heart your step-by-step instructions. I am totally a visual person. :D
I too love pasta with as much seafood as possible. YUM! Too bad when I'm at a restaurant, that's always the most expensive kind :(
Post a Comment