Sunday, December 5, 2010

2 Miles and Giants!

I made it 2 miles this morning (8:21 pace). 1.5 without any pain thanks to yesterday’s massage. The last half mile felt uncomfortable mostly because it was run slowly. I couldn’t go fast enough to take away the irritation from the IT band. I wore a new knee brace that presses on the ITB and that seemed to help. Afterwards I stretched, iced, and foam rolled. As far as I’m concerned, ever extra bit I can do is a success.

Yesterday I had my first ever sports massage. It was amazing, but she told me both IT bands were in pretty bad shape. I made another appointment for next week, this time just a 1/2 an hour and she is only going to work on my legs. She told me if I continue to do all the right things that I should be in good shape in about a month.

Today we went to the Giant’s Game. It was cold. High was 39 and windy.

DSC00703
DSC00710
DSC00705 
DSC00713
DSC00716
DSC00717

They won! It was a great time but I am exhausted. My knee kind of hurt from the extended periods of sitting/standing so when I got home I took an Epsom salt bath, then iced and foam rolled and it is feeling better. Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Time to relax. Good night!

15 comments:

All Things Jaime said...

2 miles is amazing!! I'm so happy for you. If you were closer, we could have run our 2 milers together!!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

oh man, i need, need, need to get a sports massage. i am so excited for you to be running more and getting back on track.

i'm totally jealous that you got to go watch football. that's literally my favorite activity. one time, with jazzercise i got to be a part of a half time show at the kansas city chief stadium. it was awesome to be out on the field!!!!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Yay for running again! Looks like you had fun at the game. :) I get to get a sports massage on Tuesday that I won. Looking forward to it!

mmmonyka said...

2 miles! Awesome. I am happy for you.
I am glad you massage did not make it worse as mine did :(

Nelly said...

Good luck on your injury, you might be right that it relates to your ITB. To me, most running injuries around the knee area can be healed by foam rolling your ITB, and some rest. I try to foam roll after every run, and it really does help.

Also, the Giants smashed the Redskins, you saw a good game!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I am so so glad you made it 2 miles...wahoo, that is huge. You are gorgeous! Glad your team won:)

mmmonyka said...

Totally unrelated. Why are you afraid of swimming as xtraining?

Tom said...

The first sports massage I had made me feel like the Tin Man after he finally got oil on his joints. I wish I could afford one every week. The Giants game looks like it was fun!

Stephanie said...

2 Miles is great! I hope everything together keeps working, I am pretty much following the same plan!

Runners Fuel said...

That is awesome that you were able to run 2 miles!

mmmonyka said...

I am not a strong swimmer neither (but getting there) but I surprised myself first time I went to pool in September! I was able to swim further than I ever thought I would be. You should try it and you might be surprised!
You can also do aqua jogging. It is boring when you just go slowly but you can get in a very decent workout- do intervals and stuff.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I feel ya sista! IT band inflammation is the worst, but the good news is that it can definitely get better! Rest, ice, massage. Hang in there, we'll get though our crappy injuries together... slowly but surely! (ps. The Giants game looked like a lot of fun!)

Anonymous said...

Yeah! One more mile closer to Boston :)

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

Im so glad your run was pain free!! yay!! :D

Shannon said...

Looks so fun I love tailgating!!! I am an eagles fan though, just have to put it out there. We can still be friends.