Saturday, December 4, 2010

Indulgent Saturday

Okay, just to recap…

~About 2 months ago I ran a marathon.
~I haven’t been able to run without pain since.
~I diagnosed myself with Runner’s Knee.
~I took a lot of time off.
~I saw a doctor.
~I am hopefully on the way to recovering.
~I realized I have been treating the wrong injury.

Now that everyone is all caught up…thank you for sticking with me while I moaned and groaned through this injury. I am happy I continued to post about my symptoms and progress because without you, I wouldn’t have been able to figure out what was wrong! Even after seeing a sports medicine doctor, it was a blogger who ultimately diagnosed me!

Ana-Maria, my go to blogger for all things running also offered this advice:

Ana-Maria
I’m a sucker for running books, so I will obviously have to check it out. And of course, Ana-Maria, you called it, I wear stability shoes. I love them but I will look into trying a neutral shoe.

I’m off…

~Gym with mom
~Hair Appointment
~Lunch
~Sports Massage
~Attempting a run
~Christmas tree

12 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so happy you're back running again and I hope that all goes well with with your treatment!

Looks like a great day, have fun :D

Silvergirl said...

Please be careful about taking advice about what shoes to wear unless somebody has actually looked at what your feet do when you are running. My advice is to go to a good running store that can properly evaluate your gait before you switch up the type of shoes you wear. I am a PT who sees a significant about of patients with ITB issues and I have to say that I see just as many overpronators who have ITB. It is NOT just an injury of underpronators- infact it usually is due to an issue higher up the chain-like weak hip muscles! If you can, go for a biomechanical assessment from a PT who deals with running injuries so they can tell you exactly what is causing the issue-usually it is alot more involved then just the shoes you wear! Good Luck!!

Stephanie said...

I went to get new shoes after my ITBS started. I wore the same mizunos you did, and after another gait analysis they told me I needed to be in a neutral shoe and that my stride had changed. I would go get your stride looked at, and new shoes can never hurt. Enjoy the massage!

Running and living said...

That book is amazing. The guy does a tone of research, and it is well known in the field. He has a chapter on ITB, and I got my "ideas" about him. About shoes...now I have 4-5 pairs of running shoes, some neutral some stability that I wear during each week. I rarely do 2 runs in the same pair. I try to keep track of the mileage for each pair. I think each shoe is constructed differently, and by alternating them different parts of my body get stressed at different times.

mmmonyka said...

Shoot me an email. I left my email address as a comment on my blog.

mmmonyka said...

Concerning shoes, I tried different kinds of sneakers: cheap ($30 from Kohls, I still wear them for workouts, shhh), expensive (over 150Euros shoes), stability, neutral, flats, racers, trail, training abd different brands (Asics, Nike, Adidas, NB)...
From my experience, I would say that running shoes are a pretty minor part in this issue since ITB problem came back no matter what I ran in. (But obviously, it is important, so if you are a major supinator wearing stability shoes for pronator then change of course.)
Shoes I wear during the day, that's the whole different story. Those are SUPER important because you spend the whole day in them.

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Oh I love running books. I am so so happy for you that you have figured out what is wrong. Your day sounds like perfection to me. I can't wait to hear about your run!!

Lizzy said...

I'm glad you figured it out! PT will help and get you ready for Boston in no time : )

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

What a fabulous day planned! I hope that your new treatment works! My running buddy had ITB and used a foam roller b4 and after runs...

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late to the game, but I'm so glad you got to run...even if just for 5 min. You'll be healed in no time then I'll meet ya in Boston!

All Things Jaime said...

I had bad ITBS in the summer of 2008. The best part about this, it can heal relatively fast when treated right. I'm going to send you an email tomorrow ...or maybe we can text! This is great news, though Keri! Now that this is diagnosed properly, I'm sure you are on your way to a speedy Boston!

Keep foam rolling for now. You also should strengthen your inner knee. Graston Technique worked wonders for me. I swear by it!!! Google it! :)

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I am so glad you love E too:)
Yay for massage and I am so glad that they told you that you should be good to go!! I truly can't wait for you to start running again:) We are our happiest selves when we can run!