Monday, December 27, 2010

Magic Bars!

First, let me put this out there. I am not a baker. When I was little my friend and I used to bake all the time. We had some serious baking disasters in the kitchen. One time we mistook confectionary sugar for flower. Ooops. It was in an unlabeled jar. Anyway, I have not baked in a long time but have recently been trying to get better at it. This was a good place to start.

7-Layer Magic Bars
Recipe from here. I doubled it.

First, cover baking pan with foil and place 1/2 cup butter in the pan.

Put in the oven to melt (350 degrees, 325 for glass pans).

Crush 1 1/2 cups graham crackers.

DSC00851 
 
DSC00854

Pour into dish with butter.

DSC00855

Add condensed milk.

DSC00857

Add butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, and coconut.

DSC00858

Sprinkle pecans on top.

DSC00859

Press down hard with a fork.

DSC00860

Bake for 25 minutes and let cool.

DSC00863
Mmmm delicious.

These were so good and easy to make! I brought some to my parents, some to work for my assistants, and wrapped up a dish for Dan’s family as well. Everyone loved them!

47635_562297010314_19300418_32987739_3473242_n  165671_562296985364_19300418_32987738_5427204_n

Seven Layer Magic Bars
Makes about 36

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup butterscotch flavored chips
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°, (325° for glass dish). Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with a sheet of foil, making sure to cover the sites well. Place the butter in the baking pan and melt it in the oven. Sprinkle crumbs over butter; pour condensed milk evenly on top of crumbs. Top with remaining ingredients in order listed; press down firmly with fork. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Chill if desired. Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.

These are super sweet so I choose to cut them into 1-inch squares, and i doubled the recipe.

What is your favorite holiday dessert?
I love anything chocolate.

3 comments:

Middle Name Marie said...

mmm...those look delish. I will always love pumpkin pie around the holidays!

Maggs said...

I love these. My dad's mom used to make these all the time, my mom still makes them for me when I come home.

Kevin said...

Those look awesome good.

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/