Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Boston Goals and Plan

As most of you know, I have not been doing much running due to injury. While I am not running, I have plenty of free time on my hands. Of course I have spent it resting, cross training, and attempting to be productive but I have also been planning. Planning for when I can train again of course! So, I have been working on my Boston Training Plan! Now, it is taking longer than expected because I want to perfect every little thing but I wanted to address some potential goals and explain some of the aspects of the plan. I will post the plan when it is finalized.

Boston will be my third marathon. During my first two marathons I learned some important things:

1.) A marathon is a long time to run by myself. I much preferred running Philadelphia with my dad.
2.) I need speed workouts!!
3.) Down hills are brutal on the knees…

Therefore, during this cycle of marathon training I am developing a training plan that includes 3 very important aspects: Key Workouts, Cross Training, and Injury Prevention.

I am basically combining 2 popular training plans: the FIRST training plan which I followed when training for the Steamtown Marathon and Brad Hudson’s Level 2 Marathon Plan (found in Run Faster).

Key Workouts
~Track
~Tempo
~Long
~Progression
~Hills

Cross Training
~Spin
~Pilates
~Strength/Core

Injury Prevention
~Ice
~Knee Brace (if necessary)
~Cross Training
~Hills
~Foam Rolling

For my first 2 marathons, I trained for 16 weeks and they were about a year apart. I like 16 weeks for training because it allows enough time to build up mileage and intensity and includes a 3 week taper. That leaves a sold 10 week program. For this training cycle, I am going to plan for 15 weeks because I have not been running these past few weeks.

I will not do every key workout every week, but attempt to work in 10 day intervals. Sometimes this is tricky, in particular, with the long runs which will inevitably take place on a weekend. I am still trying to put all the puzzle pieces together to make it all fit. I also want to make room for cross training and core/strength work as these are also great ways to prevent injury.

Now, lets talk goals…

Past Marathons Goals
Philadelphia
: Finish with Dad.
Steamtown: BQ Baby
Boston: ??

Just kidding. For Boston, my goal will be to improve on my marathon time and recover better. After each marathon, I have basically been wiped out by recovery. Each time, I have needed to regain my strength and speed when I started to train again. Now, what to train for? I have thought a lot about this and studied the plans and paces. I took the course into consideration and have decided.

I am going to train for a 3:20 marathon.

As I type that, I am second guessing myself because it sounds SO FAST. But I think I can do it. And if not, I’ll modify, but I at least have to try.

13 comments:

Maggs said...

Downhill running is very important for Boston too. The first 8 miles are mostly downhill and not just a gentle downhill either, but the kind where you need to hold your self back from tumbling downhill sometimes.

Good luck with the plan, it sounds like you are being smart about it!

Running and living said...

Everyone talks about the first 8 miles as downhills. Yes, there is elevation loss, but those 8 miles are all rolling hills. The only mile that is really down is the first one...The 3:20 is totally yours!

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

While I don't know you personally, I do think that after reading your blog you are totally the type of person that will commit totally and will take 3:20 by storm! GO GET 'EM!

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

I think you will definitely reach your goals...you are smart in the way you train and rest & always share these amazing results on your blog! How is the knee doing? Did you get to see an ortho yet?

mmmonyka said...

Yay, that's a great goal! 3:20 is definitely doable for you! (Shoot, than everyone I know will have faster times than I do and then my competitive side will try to make me run a marathon, which is not going to happen:)

I hope you stay healthy.

Why don't you want to do key workouts every week, but only every 10 days? I am just asking, I have no idea.

dawn @ running the dawn said...

i love how much care and attention to detail that you're putting into this upcoming training. i can't wait to see your plan!

own your goal!!!! this past year i have set two completely unrealistic goals for myself and i've been able to accomplish BOTH. nothing focuses training more than having a clear picture of how you want it to turn out in the end. i believe in you and you will conquer Boston, no question!

coach dion said...

The coach in me wants to say are you doing this, are your longs runs planned, are they fast enough, are they slow enough, are you resting enough, but that is for you and your coach to work out...

All i want to say is that 3h20 isn't fast for you... you can run 5km in 20min so 23:40 should be easy. Even 1h40 for the 1st half will be easy. So if you do the right training to 2nd half will also be easy. I'm backing you all the way. Now get out there and start logging those MILES.

Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! I admire your guts, dedication, and goal! I haven't thought about my Boston 2011 goals yet, but if I ever dream of running a 320, I'll let you know ;)

LindsLovesMiles said...

You can definintely do 3:20!!! What do you usually do to recover? My trainer told me after the marathon to take a day rest for each mile run. 26 days of rest sounds crazy to me. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

I really think you are going to do great at Boston- REALLY :)

And I will be there to cheer you on!!!!

Katie said...

Solid plan, I totally want to go up to Boston and cheer you and all the other bloggers on!

You are gonna rock it :D

I need to plan my first marathon, i'm a little scared though. I'm gonna start small with a half :)

Lizzy said...

When you do your twenty milers, try to find a place where you will hit hills at mile 17-20. Ups and Downs. They are rough in Boston but if you practice for it, you will do great!

Raina said...

I finally had a chance to see your plan in better detail. :)

Looks great! I bet you'll blow away that 3:20 goal.