Sunday, December 26, 2010

Snowed In!

Happy Day after Christmas! I am usually a little bummed when Christmas is over but it hasn’t hit me yet. I’m actually glad some of the craziness is over. I had a wonderful holiday with family but it can get a little crazy and sometimes I feel like the real meaning of the day is lost. I tried not to get too caught up in the exchanging gift craziness and really remember the thought of the gifts and the meaning of the holiday.

The holiday started for me after a half day of work on Thursday. I met a friend from high school for lunch and ran some last minute errands. That night, I went to a sushi dinner with friends. You know I love my sushi. And yes. It was half price night.

72079_562170124594_19300418_32983303_3305358_n
Sorry…crackberry pic.

All that sushi for half price! All for me. Just kidding, there were 5 of us.

Christmas Eve was spent at my parents house with Dan and my sister. We had a blast playing scrabble and eating tons of food. We exchanged a few gifts. Unfortunately, I caught a pretty bad cold and wasn’t able to make it to the midnight service at church. I was really upset because Christmas Eve service is my favorite but I knew I wouldn’t be able to make it through.

Christmas morning, I woke up early and Coop and I headed back to my parents house for coffee, waffles and presents. We had a blast cooking together and exchanging gifts. After breakfast and presents we all piled in the car and headed to “Dickens Village,” a Christmas display to walk around and take pictures. This is a Christmas tradition we do every year and it was fun to have the pups along this time.

DSC_0426   DSC_0418

Christmas dinner was at Dan’s parents house so we headed there mid-afternoon. We are lucky to be able to spend the holiday with both families.

I woke up this morning to a snow storm! The east coast is getting hit with a blizzard. Why can’t it blizzard when I have work. Fact: the best part of being a teacher is snow days! It is really coming down out there…

DSC00895  DSC00896

View from the balcony…

Tomorrow is supposed to be the first day of Boston marathon training. It may have to be a treadmill run. I have never trained for a spring marathon before and I have a feeling my plans are going to be altered many times because of the weather.

~Do you like snow?
I used to hate snow but love snow days. I don’t mind a couple of snow storms, especially in the beginning of winter but by March, I am ready for it to be over!

~Have you trained for a big race through the winter? What is your best winter training tip?
For Christmas, my dad got me a headlamp to wear at night. Dressing right for the weather and well enough to be seen is very important!

I am off to relax, snack, and watch football.
Enjoy your Sunday!

9 comments:

Maggs said...

I don't miss the snow. But I miss snow days!

misszippy said...

There's a good reason why I like fall marathons better than spring marathons! But, Boston it is and so you and I both have to suck it up and get out there. Hopefully your roads won't take too long to get back to decent outdoor running shape. You have yaktrax, I'm assuming? If not, time to get some!

One last thing--I think that since we've had such a cold December, we should hopefully have a milder Jan. and Feb, which is what the forecasters are saying.

LindsLovesMiles said...

I hate the snow! It is messing up my training right now. Can't run outside, AND the gym is closed!! :(

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

Sounds like you had a great Christmas!!! It's CRAZY all this snow we're getting, huh? You guys are getting a ton in Jersey..think we're getting like 10-20 inches here! Michael is so bummed they postponed the Eagles game...football is so fun in the snow :(

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

That sushi looks amazing...and half priced, even better. I am so glad you had a great Christmas and I do not like the snow!! I am loving escaping it for two weeks! I trained for my first marathon entirely on the treadmill last winter...I am such a wuss and I get scared running when it is dark (the only free time I have)!!! Boston is coming up girl:)

Jennifer said...

I ADORE the snow as long as I have no where to go!;)

Jen @ shesafitchick.com

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your fam! Training through the winter is definitely different but when you've got a plan and your heart set on something, it's not hard!

Jessica said...

I empathise with the snow situation a great deal. It's been awful in NE England and my training has been compromised to an annoying extent.

I'd say: always be prepared for the worst and it's better to be too hot than too cold, as I discovered being that I now have a terrible virus most likely from not wearing enough layers in sub-zero temps.

Good luck with your training.

Runners Fuel said...

I think I like snow beacuse I didn't grow up in it or currently live in it. I don't have to shovel it or anything.