Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Glorious 5 Minutes…

track I went to the track today. Don’t worry I haven’t completely lost my mind. I figured the track was a nice soft surface to attempt a mile on. There is good news and bad news.

The Bad: I didn’t make it a mile.

The Good: I had a glorious, pain-free 5 minutes of running and I loved every second of it. I loved breathing in the cold December air and the feeling of effortlessly bounding across the track.

As soon as I felt the slightest bit of discomfort, which happened to be a sharp pain starting just below the kneecap, I stopped and walked. It was just about 1/2 a mile. I walked a bit and did lots of lunges, squats and one-legged squats (as advised by the sports doc) and felt great. My dad continued to run and then we walked for a bit together. He suggested that next time instead of running on the track, I run around the turf field. I thought it was a great idea and figured why not try it now. I made it another lap around pain-free. I know 1/2-3/4 of a mile is not a lot and I have a long way to go but this 5 minutes of running did an amazing amount for my mood, which, in itself was completely worth it. This injury has been getting me pretty down, but between today and yesterday, I feel like I am actually making some progress. According to The Runner’s Body it is important to run as much as you can without pain and my doctor gave similar advice so I’m going for it :) I plan to try again tomorrow.

When I got home I iced, elevated, and foam rolled my leg. It has been feeling great and I had no pain walking down the stairs which is what I have been using to gauge progress.

There is no satisfaction without a struggle first.
~Marty Liquori, Middle Distance Runner

10 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

5 minutes is a start. Injuries can be so frustrating. But keep that positive attitude and you'll make it through!

Stephanie said...

That is ITB pain!!! Sharp outside below the knee cap is classic ITB, tracks and downhills make it worse. Foam roll, do hit and flute exercises and consider a massage to break up the scar tissue. Hope it gets better!

run4may said...

Great job... I know it's not as far as you probably hoped for but you did great.

dawn @ running the dawn said...

yay for the beginning of the end! enjoy your road to recovery and every sweet second of running. then tuck away the feelings of joy for when you're deep into the newton hills, and you need to remember how much you love to run!

mmmonyka said...

Psyched!

mmmonyka said...

@ Stephanie, I am The ITB Queen (sadly) and Keri's pain does not seem like it. It is not on the outside side of the knee and it is mostly very sharp, so I doubt it is ITB.

Amanda@runninghood said...

This is awesome news! 5 minutes is the first step to be back there! I remember how joyful I was with my first half mile back. I was smiling the entire time. Joyful and healing energy your way!

Runners Fuel said...

Great Start!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I bet that was the best five minutes that you have had in a long time:) I am SO glad the sports doc said you would be fine for Boston! Loved the quote at the end...so true. You are doing such a great job at researching and doing all the right things to get better!!

All Things Jaime said...

YAY!! This is so excited. Keep us posted.