Saturday, December 11, 2010

I’m back.

5 miles. No pain. I’m back. Although I’ve been running for a week now, *and it has be fantastic*, a goal of mine since I first took that month off has been to do my 5 mile route again pain-free. Trust me, even running 1 mile was wonderful and I am grateful for every pain-free step I get to take now, but after a hard day and a long week, I just needed to get out there, run, and leave it all on the roads for longer than a few minutes. Yesterday was that day.

5.13 miles
39:45 minutes
7:43 pace
Splits: 7:38, 7:48, 7:38, 8:00, 7:30, 7:14

Of course, I understand that I’m not fully back. My ITB still needs lots of care and attention but its allowing me to run so I am one happy girl. I was able to run my old route, on roads and sidewalks, up and down little hills and I still felt great. I am foam rolling before and after, stretching after I run, and also foam rolling the the morning and at night. I go for another sports massage on just my legs this afternoon. Hopefully she will tell me the IT bands feel better because last week she couldn’t believe how tight they were. They feel better to me, so hopefully she will notice. It feels a little tight today but my knee feels fine. I hope that is an improvement.

I’m off to get some Christmas shopping and errands done. For Dan’s parents this year, I am making them a scrapbook. Please be honest, I can take it. Lame or Clever? This will be our 5th Christmas together and I’m starting to run out of ideas. It is so hard to buy things for people who can buy anything they ever want for themselves. Therefore I needed to get creative. Since I take lots of pictures, I thought it would be a nice idea. I have been snapping random candid shots in anticipation of this scrapbook since the summer so I think they will be surprised. I also plan to get them a little something else. Suggestions are welcome :)

Dan and I are decorating the tree tonight. I’m excited.

Check back tomorrow for a confession…

8 comments:

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

YAYYYYY!!! That is so exciting!! Your back and even better no pain! I am so happy for you! Great mile times! I love the scrapbook idea! DO IT!!

mmmonyka said...

That's exciting! I am happy for you.

Take good care of it so it does not come back like mine did (5 times...)!

So now we will finally get more blogs from about running ?!? (Just kidding:))

Keri said...

Yes! More blogs about running! My runs aren't all that exciting now but I figured I better start posting about running now that I can do it again!

Shannon said...

Great run!!!!

As for the gift, totally clever and cute. Parents eat that stuff up. Plus I feel like anyone can buy themselves a new blender, but something that is special and made specifically for them is something they wouldn't necessarily do themselves. They'll appreciate it a lot, I'm sure.

Amber said...

YA YA YA! I remember my first 5-mile run after the injury: It was FABULOUS! I've since only gone 5.5 miles but I'm planning on doing 6 next week!

mmmonyka said...

I meant from YOU about running:) (I needed to correct myself, because although I am not an English native speaker I knew that one)

dawn @ running the dawn said...

good work on the 5 miles! you are definitely back in business! when do you start training for boston? i'm starting on monday, 18 weeks out! so exciting :)

i love the scrapbook idea. i'm not crafty at all, but i've made some of those picture book things and my husband made his parents a calendar with pictures of us one year...i agree, its hard to shop for people who have everything or never waits for someone to buy them what they want...

Unknown said...

I love the scrapbook idea, but then I'm a scrapbooker myself. I think parents love that kinda of thing, especially because it's not something they could buy themselves and they know you took a lot of thought and time to do it.

This is the 2nd Christmas that my Mom and my Grandparents will be getting a scrapbook calendar.