Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gym, Finally

Copy of ist2_1828763_gym_girl Happy Saturday!
Is anyone else thrilled its Saturday? I really needed this weekend. Unfortunately, there is not much time to relax with the holidays rapidly approaching. I am trying not to stress though. It helps that I finally fit in a workout at the gym yesterday.

Warm-up: 10 min stairclimber (level 12-17)
By the time I got off, my  heart was pounding, so I walked around, drank some water, and toweled off. I wanted to keep going but I have seriously been lacking in the strength training department. I decided to do a circuit style workout with a mini-cardio blast in between. It looked something like this:

~Lat Pull Down (45 lbs)
~Spine Extension (70 lbs)
Superset for 3 sets of 10 reps each.

Cardio blast: Rolling like a ball into a standing position, jump, roll back onto the mat. (15 times)
**Try this, it is harder than it sounds, and it really gets the HR up!

~Biceps Curl (3 x 10, 25 lbs)
~Triceps extension (machine, 30 lbs)

Cardio blast: Burpees (10)

~Shoulder Press Machine 3 x 10, 30 lbs
~Upper Back- Reverse Fly Machine 3 x 10, 40 lbs

As you can see, this was not a very well designed workout, mainly because it wasn’t designed at all. I hadn’t been to the gym all week and I just decided to wing it. It was also unusually crowded for a Friday afternoon; I guess everyone is getting in their holiday workouts early!

It felt great to do the plyo jumps again, but I was afraid to do too many coming off an injury. I feel great this morning so I think it is safe to add some more.

In running news, I have decided to start Boston training earlier than planned, since I will be off from work next week and my IT band has been feeling great. I will have to tweak my training plan which I promise to post soon :)
Enjoy your Saturday!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Looks like a fun and effective workout! It's good to have some spontaneous workouts, keeps it exciting :D

Good luck with your marathon training!!

And Thank you for suggesting the stat counter, I added it and I'm having fun analyzing my stats and finding out what everyone is viewing. It's giving me ideas on what I should post more of!

mmmonyka said...

Hi Keri, thanks. No, you do not need to email anything. I thought that the book had more general information about distance running but it is really about how to design your own training plan and how to choose paces and I do not need that.

I am so happy that you ITB feels great!
I should get my butt off the coach and do some strength workout myself:)

dawn @ running the dawn said...

good work on hitting the gym! i finally got myself to do some cross training yesterday, but ended the week with zero running.

can't wait to hear more about your plans for boston!

Shannon said...

Good luck in your training!!!! Great workout today!