Official Stats:
10.00 Miles
1:17:58 minutes
7:47 pace
104 overall
21/84 gender
12/28 age group
Garmin Splits:
Race Report
I know I shouldn’t be racing, but I want to stress that I didn’t race. I knew 10-miles would be hard enough on my body and I truly just wanted to finish. Given that my past training runs have all been in the 7:30-8 min range I wanted to stay somewhere in that range. For the most part I was able to do that, but as you can see some of the miles were hard! The knee felt great but my legs felt like lead; my hips and both ITBs were super tight, and I was seriously sucking wind. Fortunately, the weather was warm- 57 degrees but it rained off and on. The rain itself was actually pretty nice being that it was warm for this time of year but I never know how to dress in the rain so I wore too much and the course was pretty flooded. The race was run on paths through a park which we looped 3 times. Last year I hated the course but this year I didn’t mind it as much. The weather last year was terrible and even though it rained (again) the weather was much better this year.
Due to some unforeseen circumstances, my dad wasn’t able to run this race with me. It is not the first time I have run a race without him but it is the first race I have run that he hasn’t been at. Usually, if he doesn’t race, he will come with me anyway. Of course, since the race he couldn’t be at was an hour away and I got lost. My sweet Aunt Lauren was able to get me back on track (thank you!) Good thing I left early enough, and had plenty of time. Maybe Santa will bring me a GPS for Christmas. (I know, who doesn’t have a GPS?) When I got to the park, I had to go register. I kept this race a secret because I really didn’t know if I was going to be able to run it. Why must I risk my recovery and run a 10 mile race so soon after an injury? I have been working on a race series all year long. It consists of 9 race: 3 short, 3 medium, and 3 long. I had 8 races in, 1 to go. Of course it was a long one. Last year was my first year competing and I came in 2nd for the under 34 age division. This year I was already in 2nd place for the age group, even though I was missing a race (which counts as a 0). It wasn’t even about winning money or my place in the standings. I worked so hard all year on this series and I wanted to finish what I started. My dad and I decided if I could run 5 miles without pain, I could attempt the race. I completed that run on Friday and decided I was in. The official results come out on Tuesday, so I don’t want to announce anything quite yet, but I will let you know how it goes :)
Even though I am still pretty tight, I am glad I ran the race. It was hard not to be able to race and even harder to let people pass me but I kept thinking about Boston and knew it wasn’t worth it. It was pouring and my dad wasn’t there so I didn’t take any pictures, but I had a lot of team members there to race with/cheer me on. I was one of the last of the team members to finish and they were all there cheering for me at the end. The woman’s team came in 4th overall. Overall, it was a success. What a way to end the racing year.
13 comments:
You are so awesome!! I know how how hard it is to run in a race without racing and being super competitive. I have trouble running any long runs without pushing the pace. You did super awesome after not running for a while and taking it easy! Actually you did sick even if you hadn't run in a while!! I'm so happy you are running again and can't wait to see how you do at Boston :D
wow, i can't believe that you ran that fast in the pouring rain while coming back from an injury. that is amazing! oh, i hope that you win the series!!!! that is so fun :) then i can walk around feeling super important because i know a celebrity :)
Nice work! Hard not to race I'm sure but VERY smart to accomplish what you set out to and not let your pride get in the way during the race. Great pace for a training run anyway! I am backreading your posts here! I definitely think you should shoot for the 3:20:) That was my goal in Boston. I didn't put it out there before the race because I was afraid of failing in a sense. I had one good blog friend who I personally told my goal to. I thought of her a MILLION times during the race and I was so thankful for the accountability. I love ambitious goals and I think putting them out there can provide that little extra umpff when you need it!! You're gonna kick butt. Heal up and 3:20 is in your back pocket!! Congrats on a great year!
Great run! I would normally say race, but you didn't race ;-) haha
Holy crap girl! Can't believe you did 10 miles!! That's awesome - good for you for taking it easy and not racing it!
That's still a fast pace to me! I could hold it for 3 miles, but not 10! So cute that you run with your dad, I used to run with mine before he hurt his knee. Way to rock that run!
My PR for 10 miles is 1:12:35, and that was with no injuries.
Your time is still amazing and I'm so happy that your knee held up okay.
Good luck with the race series!
xxx
I love running races, but I'm not into racing any more. There is no reason for you not to run a race every week... just don't race often. Well done
Great job girl! I never understood the meaning of "I just want to finish the race" until I was injured. So glad it all went off well. I know what you mean about the stabalizing muscles, my first few runs back I was sore in such unusal places from the time off.
I followed my GPS and it put me at the boathouse on the other side of the lake!
Not racing in a race is very hard, but you still ROCKED it like it was a race :)
Congrats on the fast finish! Hope your knees are still feeling good now and that a roller has helped you loosen up by now :)
Post a Comment