Thursday, December 2, 2010

I Got the Referral!

298x232-knee_remedy-298x232_knee_remedy Thank you for all your thoughts and advice with the doctor/pt issue. Good news…the specialist’s office was able to get the referral! I was able to keep my appointment and I saw the doctor yesterday evening. It was definitely worth seeing the sports specialist. He examined my knee, had me do various things (squats, hop on one foot, etc.), and did an ultrasound on both knees right there in his office. It was very cool to see. He explained everything to me and pointed out the different ligaments, tendons, etc.

Unfortunately, he got my hopes up that I might not have runner’s knee. He said usually the people he sees with runners knee have pain above the knee cap. Due to the location of the pain, he thought it was the insertion point of the hamstring into the knee cap or maybe a tendon, but the ultrasound didn’t show much, except a little water on the knee. Therefore, we are back to runner’s knee. Boo.

He recommended physical therapy, but was able to refer me to a place that sees mostly runners. I am happy he did not tell me I needed total rest. Instead, he prescribed strengthening exercises, (which I have been doing), but discouraged too much impact. I will make an appointment with the PT place and see how it goes. At least I know it isn’t something more serious, but I wish there was a better way to fix this…

He said to come back in 2 weeks if I do not seen improvement after some sessions with the PT. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear but he ruled out some things and I actually feel like we are making progress. Maybe doctors aren’t so bad after all…

8 comments:

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Hopefully no news is good news. Keep your head up and all will be fine.

Runners Fuel said...

Yay!! So happy you have some answers!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I am so glad you got the referral and you were able to see a sports doctor. Did he think you will be able to train for Boston? Good luck....seriously you are in my prayers! I am glad you don't have to totally rest. I think you would go crazy!

Anonymous said...

I am with Adam...I hope no news is good news...

Amber said...

Yay! I'm so glad! I hope things get fixed up for you asap!! :)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Crossing fingers and hoping and praying for some good news for your knee! I'm starting to feel pain in my r.knee...getting nervous :(

coach dion said...

Haven't been to a doctor in 15 years, but I have been to a physio, for anything running I that is were I go. the important thing is to have one that runs so he/she know about running and the fact that resting doesn't even come into the equation. good luck

dawn @ running the dawn said...

ugh...runner's knee is no fun! but, yes, so grateful that its not something that would require surgery and exclusion from boston. that would be unthinkable! i wonder what the PT people will say...