I decided to combine the first workout from Run Less, Run Faster with Brad Hudson’s Run Faster Plans. This is pretty much the basis of my entire training plan. Difficult speed workouts + cross training + more miles = my Boston training plan. Originally, I was going to post my entire 16 week program but an important aspect of Hudson’s plans are to be flexible, listen to your body, and adjust the plans accordingly. Therefore, I will post week by week, depending on how my body feels. Here is my plan for week #1.
Sunday: REST
Monday: Track ( 3 x 1600 w/ 1 min rest interval) + warm up and cool down
Tuesday: Spin or yoga & Easy run
Wednesday: 6 mile Tempo (2 easy, 2 @ 7:00, 2 easy)
Thursday: Mat Pilates & Progression Run
Friday: 13 mile long run @ 8:15
Saturday: Rest or Cross train
We will see how well I stick to that.
Unfortunately, due to the snow storm, I had to start training today on the treadmill. I’m really bad at running on the tread mill so I had to load up my new ipod with lots of good music. I am not used to running with music so I had these really terrible headphones. For some reason, headphones just do not fit inside my ears. I’m not sure if my ears are too small or too big but they just keep popping out. I refuse to run on the treadmill with out music because I would last about 2.5 seconds before I get bored out of my mind so I made Dan run to the store up the road to help me buy a pair of headphones that actually work for me.
On the way to get me headphones.
So we realized that the cute, little headphones just don’t work for me. I had to get those headphones that wrap around the back of your head…but they worked! They stayed in place, even when I was doing my mile repeats.
My collection of headphones…
The Workout:
7.0 miles
55:15 minutes
10 min warm up @ 7.0 (8:34 pace)
1 mile @ 9.3 (6:27 pace)
2 min jog @ 6.5
1 mile @ 9.3
2 min jog
1 mile @9.3
jog 1/4 mile (to reach 5 miles)
*Stopped for a quick water break and stretch, then I hopped back on the treadmill for an easy 2 miles @ 7.0 (8:34 pace)
Overall, I felt great and the mile repeats really helped the time fly by on the dreadmill. The music also helped.
Please Help: If you listen to music when you run, what kind of headphones do you use?
13 comments:
I have skull headphones that work well for me. I also have a pair that loop around your ears but they are ear buds that loop around not the big "ear muff" type.
I did a treadmill run today too. Hated it! The treadmill sucks! Lol
Nice workout!!
I have skull candy earbuds, they come with three different size ear pieces. I've never been able to find in-ear headphones because my ears are too small, but these worked for me!!
I just got a new pair of pink/white ones for x-mas :D
Here is a link to them (I have these blue/black ones too) http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-INKd-Earbuds-S2INCZ-035 Blue/dp/B003KN2K0M/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293480983&sr=1-5
Here we go:
* I have the same issue with headphones. In the winter I am fine bc I wear a headband over them. In the summer I get the ones you got.
* I am horrible on the treadmill. I had to run the fast miles of my run today on the mill, and it was terrible.
* Do you have 4 hard runs in your plan - long, speed, tempo and progression? That is a lot, I think, Hudson never has more than 3...See how it goes for you, but be careful:)
wow, you rock! This sounds like an awesome workout and you sound like a bad ass. ;) I have never really used head phones much so I'm interested in hearing what people say. Thanks for the inspiration...I'm interested in hearing about how you like this plan. have you heard of Brain Training For Runners? I just started this book and love it. I think I might use it for my next marathon but I'm also intrigued with the one you are doing. So glad to read your blog today....awesome post.
you may want to keep an eye on my blog. I'm thinking of having a giveaway that may solve your headphone problem!
Highly recommend the "Airdrives" headphones. Unlike ones that go in your ears (which, in fairness, I wear at the gym when I'm doing cardio there), these are really safe because they sit outside your ears and allow you to hear everything around you. I would definitely warn against using any kind of in-ear headphones for outdoor workouts - they can be very dangerous, not just to you, but also to people around you.
I use earphones that go around the ear too. They don't fall out like the bud ones.
I'm totally cheating and reading your blog and other blogs that I like. The good thing for me on your blog is that I already read it earlier so now I can just post on here again and again until you write a new post. :) You have some great books lined up....I will have to check out that first one you mentioned....never heard of it. Must be good if you got it for Christmas. Okay, off the blogs again. I did get a chapter read in my Sacred Hearts books. So far, I've learned that I don't ever want to be a nun...especially in the 1500's. :)
I absolutely LOVE your training ideas/ weeks plan!!
WTG on the TM. Sheesh I hate the TM.
I use a pair of headphones that are shaped almost like an open "D". they go over the ear, hooking around it, and the sound piece goes into the ear. 10 bucks. They have lasted a year and a half :)
i know so many runners (like you) that do marathons, etc that HATE the treadmill. It makes me feel a little better about hating it too ;-)
This weather is bitter, cold and icy...hopefully it all melts tomorrow for you. It's supposed to warm up a lot here over the weekend.
I use ear buds, just because they came with my ipod...nothing special.
Hmmmm...this sounds weird but I would try on as many as you can as everyone's ears are a bit different. But I too prefer ear buds.
Nothing wrong with the first week as it is set out, all I will tell you is that if you are not up to doing your session, just get out and run. Something is alway better than nothing.
As for earphones, I use the cheap ones that come with my cheap mp3 player and they are great.
just wanted to let you know that your "run less run faster" success has inspired me. i don't think i'll be able to fit in more that three days of running this semester, so it seems like its going to be a perfect fit for me. i'm still reading the book, but i need to get through it, since i'm one week behind already...
Post a Comment